If you work in marketing in a large company one thing some crave is to do things differently.
This is partly the ego speaking.
However it is often a case of wanting to achieve more than average results.
As a small business owner you don’t have to follow any head office rules and you can be original to grow your business.
And yet many don’t.
Perhaps it is because of wanting to belong and feel comfortable that makes them want to be the same or do the same as everyone else.
Or is it because some are not sure or not know enough to break from the norm and follow their own path?
This complicates your marketing for you and makes it harder for your customers to choose your products or services.
The first step in simplifying your marketing is to have a focused marketing strategy.
You and your competitors
Every day you can see the same tactics are used in the same way, products and services presented identically to each other etc.
An example of this is using email as a marketing tactic. The common advice is you should set up a series of articles and then deliver them over a period of weeks to subscribers. Often these articles also share what you can put into the series.
Now imagine if you and your competitors follow this in exactly the way it has been suggested. If potential customers are signed up to receive both what they get is the same thing in the same way without any differentiation.
This approach may have the opposite affect to what you intended with potential customers.
The advantages of being a rebel
- You learn to think more strategically than just doing the same as everyone else
- You can use the power of simplicity as a competitive advantage
- You look to gain more than average results with all aspects of your marketing
- You explore ways to develop products or services that are not me-too that your customers want to buy
- Your mind and actions are focused on improvement for both your business and customers
- Your products or services will not be mistaken for your competitors
As more businesses go online differentiation will become more important I believe especially if you are looking to have a growing and profitable business.
As a small business marketer and the head honcho marketer the best thing is that there is no head office to say no to your initiatives.
Being and doing the same as everyone else is a little boring don’t you think?